REVISED: September 19, 2023
1. Managing Your Information Preferences
2. Information We Collect
Categories and Types of Personal Information We Collect
The types of personal information relating to you that we may "process" (such as collect, use and store) depends on your interaction with us. The key categories and types of personal information that we may collect and process are set out below.
• Contact information: Name, email address, phone number, and postal address;
• Other identifying information: IP address, the type of Web browser you use, your operating system, your Internet Service Provider, your IP address, the pages you view, and the time and duration of your visits to the Site;
• Financial information: Payment information;
• Geolocation data: The general region or area from which you access our site;
• Internet or other electronic activity: Email, browsing and click history, including information about how you navigate the Internet;
• Demographic information: Employer and title;
• Photos: Profile photos;
• Commercial information: Records of products purchased, obtained or considered;
• Inferences: We may use information from the categories described above in order to create a profile about you, to reflect your preferences, characteristics, behavior and attitude.
Categories of Use
We use your personal information for the following purposes:
• Transactional Purposes: We use your contact information, photos, financial information, other identifying information, demographic information, commercial information and inferences to:
o Receive, process, confirm, send and track your order, subscription or registration;
o Communicate with you about your order, subscription or registration; and
o Process any subscription or registration you make to one of our services;
• Analytical Purposes: We use your other identifying information, internet activity and browsing history, geolocation data and commercial information to analyze preferences, trends and statistics.
• Marketing and Promotional Purposes: We use your contact information, commercial information, demographic information, internet or other electronic activity, geolocation data, and inferences to:
o Send you information about seminars, events that we think may be relevant to you; and
o Provide you with other information from and about Castle Publications, including personalized marketing communications.
• Maintenance and Improvement of Services and Website: We use your contact information, commercial information, and internet activity and browsing history to:
o Answer your questions and respond to your requests;
o Improve our websites;
o To provide more relevant search results from the search functions of the Site and the Services.
o Provide and maintain functionality on our websites; and
o Help us diagnose technical and service problems and administer our websites.
• Security and Fraud Prevention: We use your contact information, other identifying information, commercial information, financial information, geolocation data, internet activity and browsing history, to protect our websites, our company and others, and to prevent fraud, theft and misconduct.
• Legal: We use your contact information, other identifying information, financial information, geolocation data, internet activity and browsing history, and inferences to:
o Comply with our legal obligations, including reporting requirements; and
o Defend our company in and protect our company, property, and others through legal proceedings.
Sources of Personal Information
We collect information from the following sources:
We collect information directly from you: We collect contact information directly from you.
We collect information from you passively: We collect Internet and other electronic activity passively using tools like browser cookies. This activity is further described our Cookies and Anonymous Identifiers section and our Cookie and Advertising Policy.
Combining Information: We combine information we obtain from different sources with publicly available information.
When We Share Information with Third Parties
With service providers who do things on our behalf: From time to time, we may establish a business relationship with other businesses whom we believe trustworthy and who have confirmed that their privacy practices are consistent with ours (“Service Providers”). For example, we may contract with Service Providers to provide certain services, such as hosting and maintenance, data storage and management, and marketing and promotions. We only provide our Service Providers with the information necessary for them to perform these services on our behalf. Each Service Provider must agree to use reasonable security procedures and practices, appropriate to the nature of the information involved, in order to protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. Service Providers are prohibited from using Personal Information other than as specified by us. We may disclose to third parties, certain Usage Data regarding the Site and Services. However, in such cases, your Usage Data is aggregated with the Usage Data of others and does not identify you individually.
We share information if we think we have to in order to comply with the law: We cooperate with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We may disclose Personal Information and any other information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties if, in our discretion, we believe it is necessary or appropriate in order to respond to legal requests (including court orders and subpoenas), to protect the safety, property, or rights of our company or of any third party, to prevent or stop any illegal, unethical, or legally actionable activity, or to comply with the law.
3. Cookies and Anonymous Identifiers
We use Google Analytics on the Site and Services to collect Usage Data, to analyze how users use the Site and Services, and to provide advertisements to you on other websites. For more information about how to opt out of having your information used by Google Analytics, visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
4. Personal Information You Make Available to Others
By using the Site or the Services you may make certain of your Personal Information available to others. For example, when you post a comment or a photo on the Site other users may see your name (first name and last name initial), the city you live in and other information that you choose to make available to others.
5. Advertising and Online Tracking
6. Notice to California Residents/Your California Privacy Rights
To opt out of sharing your Personal Information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes, please e-mail us at [email protected] and clearly state your request, including your name, mailing address, e-mail address and phone number. Please see Section 1 (Managing Your Information Preferences) above for additional information.
CCPA Rights Requests
Right to Know
You can request what personal information we have collected, used, disclosed, and sold about you in the preceding 12 months.
You can request the specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you. To submit a request for this information, please send an email to [email protected]. You must use “California Request to Know Information” in the subject line of your email. You can also call us at (213) 455-7617 to submit your request by phone.
You can also request the following categories of information:
• The categories of personal information we have collected about you.
• The categories of sources from which the personal information was collected.
• The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling the personal information.
• The categories of third parties with whom we shared personal information.
To submit a request for this information, please send an email to [email protected]. You must use “California Right to Know Categories” in the subject line of your email. You can also call us at (213) 455-7617 to submit your request by phone.
For all requests regarding the right to know as described above, you must provide us with your name, email address and phone number. Failure to provide all of the foregoing information will prevent us from processing your request. Further, in order to verify your identity, we will match that information to the information we have in our systems. In order to designate an authorized agent to act on your behalf, you must send a signed, written authorization to us at [email protected].
Right to Deletion
You can also request that we delete your personal information. We may not delete all of your personal information if one of the following exceptions applies:
• Transactional: to complete a transaction for which the personal information was collected, provide a service requested by you, or perform a contract we have with you;
• Security: to detect data security incidents;
• Error Correction: to debug or repair any errors;
• Legal: to protect against fraud or illegal activity or to comply with applicable law or a legal obligation, or exercise rights under the law, such as the right to free speech; or
• Internal Use: to use your personal information, internally, in a lawful manner that is compatible with the context in which you provided the information (i.e. to improve our services).
We will also maintain a record of your CCPA Rights requests.
Please note that if we delete your personal information, services provided may not maintain the same functionality. For example, your previous opt out requests will not be saved and saved preferences and information will no longer be available.
To submit a request to delete, please send an email to [email protected]. You can also call us at (213) 455-7617 to submit your request by phone. You must provide us with your name, email address and phone number. Failure to provide all of the foregoing information will prevent us from processing your request. Further, in order to verify your identity, we will match that information to the information we have in our systems. Additionally, some requests may be subject to the company’s identity verification procedure. In order to designate an authorized agent to act on your behalf, you must send a signed, written authorization to us at [email protected] or alternatively, you may send the written authorization by mail to the address below.
If you wish to make multiple requests under this section, we recommend sending the deletion request last, as we will not be able to fulfill your other requests once we have deleted your personal information.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Personal Information that We Sell
We do not currently and will not sell (as sell is defined in CCPA) any personal information.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA Rights and we will not deny you services, charge you a different price, or provide you with a lesser quality of services if you exercise any of your CCPA Rights.
7. Other Transfers
8. Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement
We cooperate with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We may disclose Personal Information and any other information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties if, in our discretion, we believe it is necessary or appropriate in order to respond to legal requests (including court orders and subpoenas), to protect the safety, property, or rights of our company or of any third party, to prevent or stop any illegal, unethical, or legally actionable activity, or to comply with the law.
9. Be Careful When You Share Information with Others
Please be aware that whenever you share information on any public area of the Site or Services, that information may be accessed by others. In addition, please remember that when you share information in any other communications with third parties, that information may be passed along or made public by others. This means that anyone with access to such information can potentially use it for any purpose, including sending unsolicited communications.
We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect the confidentiality and security of information transmitted to us. However, no data transmission over the Internet or other network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect information transmitted on or through the Site or Services, we cannot and do not guarantee the security of any information you transmit on or through the Site or Services, and you do so at your own risk.
12. Children’s Privacy
The Site and Services are intended for users who are 13 years old or older. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of 13. If we become aware that we have inadvertently received Personal Information from a child under the age of 13, we will delete such information from our records. California users under the age of 18 may request the removal of their content or information publicly posted on the Site or Services by e-mailing us at [email protected]. Please note that most of the user content that appears on our Site or Services is stored and controlled by third party providers; thus, complete and comprehensive removal of the content may not be possible.
13. Processing in the United States
Please be aware that your Personal Information and communications may be transferred to and maintained on servers or databases located outside your state, province, or country. If you are located outside of the United States, please be advised that we process and store all information in the United States. The laws in the United States may not be as protective of your privacy as those in your location. By using the Site or Services, you are agreeing to the collection, use, transfer, and disclosure of your Personal Information and communications will be governed by the applicable laws in the United States.